Winners & Losers at the L.A. Auto Show: Concept Cars

Tiguanwinner

We already recapped the production cars from L.A., now it’s time to take a look at the forward-thinking and often radical designs that make up this year’s crop of concept cars. Most of these will never see the assembly line; many won’t even influence future models. Here are the cars Joe Wiesenfelder and David Thomas thought won and lost on the show floor.

Volkswagen Tiguan
DT - Winner:
This one’s not hard to pick. The Tiguan is the most likely to be produced, has the best proportions and, if they do build it, will probably sell pretty well.

JW - Winner: Yep. It looks great, and it would be several things the Touareg SUV isn't: lightweight, fuel-efficient and quick. Maybe the folks at VW have learned some lessons; they obviously missed the one on car names.

Stepbuswinner

Honda Step Bus
DT - Winner:
Sure, it’s little and boxy — and we’ve seen that all before — but the sliding front doors, which make tight parking-lot spaces an option, are innovative. So is the mid-engine layout.

JW - Loser: I don't think there's much Honda can learn from this study. The Element illustrates what's wrong with large, swing-out doors, so sliding doors are a good way to offer a wide doorway without the drawbacks. Unfortunately, sliding doors are associated with minivans the way hydrogen is associated with the Hindenburg. If you get too close to a car with either one, consumers get uncomfortable.

Hyundaiwinner

Hyundai Hellion
DT - Winner:
It’s a bit strange-looking at first, but the inventive placement of rear and side windows is worth examining in a production vehicle. The design in person is also much better than in photographs. Teenage boys would love this thing.

JW - Winner: The Hellion looks like an Isuzu VehiCROSS with better proportions. Aside from looking a bit like a VehiCROSS, it's sure to have hellish sightlines. I love the aggressive name — one you'd expect from Dodge, who brought us the Avenger, Challenger and Magnum. Hyundais have become so good, maybe we can accept one that misbehaves.

Mustangwinner

Mustang Giugiaro
DT - Winner:
Ford went out of the country for this one, and we’re not sure why. The swinging doors are over the top, but overall the design is wild yet holds on to Mustang's recent history.

JW - Winner: This is nice-looking and interesting, but I'm never sure what to do with this kind of out-of-house concept. It's not going to be a real car, and it's not a means for the manufacturer to try out new features or designs. I think of it as disposable, the way I do customized cars at the SEMA show. "Hey, look at what these guys did with a Mustang." Then I move on to the next one.

Acurawinner

Acura Advanced Sedan Concept
DT - Loser:
I don’t think I can recall such an unsightly concept that wasn’t shaped like a box. I have no idea what this is supposed to be or where it’s going.

JW - Loser: I'm always surprised when I have a viscerally negative reaction to a concept car and then find someone who sees it totally differently and even likes it. That's what hasn't happened with this one, and I seriously doubt it ever will. Someone at Acura needs a time-out.

Hondaremixwinner

Honda REMIX
DT - Loser:
Some commenters say it looks like a Gremlin, or the next coming of the CRX. Either way, I’ll check the “no” box if ever asked to vote on this one.

JW - Loser: Honda and Acura concepts have made it quite easy on me at this show. No, no and no. I suppose somewhere there's a car that combines curves and hard edges in one cohesive car. This isn't it.

Nagarewinner

Mazda Nagare
DT - Loser:
This is a middle-of-the-road pick. In person it looks much better than in the press photos, and the integrated wheels and tires are wild. But again, I’m left wondering what the heck I’m looking at.

JW - Winner: I know exactly what I'm looking at — the striated gullet of a humpback whale. At least that's what the lines on the side remind me of. I don't know what the inspiration was, but it's definitely organic, and I actually like the Nagare. The Acura Advanced Sedan's front end has some similarities, which underscores that there are good far-out designs, and bad ones.



Related posts:



Related posts:



0 коммент.:

Отправить комментарий